1. Bell WR, Braine HG, Ness PM, Kicler TS. Improved survival in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura - Hemolytic uremic syndrome. Clinical experience in 108 patients. N Engl J Med 1991; 325:398-403.
2. Barbui T, Finazzi G. Treatment indications and choice of a platelet lowering agent in essential thrombocytopenia. Curr Hematol Rep 2003; 2:248-56.
3. Buss DH, Stuart JJ, Lipscomb GE. The incidence of hemorrhagic disorders in association with extreme thrombocytosis. Am J Hematol 1985; 20:365-72.
4. Cortelazzo S, Finazzi G, Ruggeri M, Vestri O, Galli M, Rodeghiero F, Barbui T. Hydroxyurea for patients with essential thrombocythemia and a high risk of thrombosis. N Engl J Med 1995; 332(17):1132-6.
5. Furlan M et al. Von Willebrand factor-cleaving protease in thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura and the hemolytic uremic syndrome. N Engl J Med 1998; 339: 1578.
6. George JN, Woolf SH, Gary MPH, et al. Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura: A practice guideline developed by explicit methods for the American Society of Hematology. Blood 1996;28:3.
7. Hackett T, Kelton JG, Powers P. Drug-induced platelet destruction. Sem Thromb and Hemostas 1982; 8:116-137.
8. Karpatkin S. Autoimmune thrombocytopenic purpura. Sem Hematol 1985; 22:260-288.
9. Kelton JG, Levine MN. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia. Sem Thromb and Hemostas 1986; 12:59-62.
10. Kelton JG, Warkentin TF. Heparin-induced thrombocytopenia: An overview of the diagnosis, natural history and treatment options. Postgrad Med. 1998 Feb;103(2):169-71, 175-8.
11. McCann S, Foa R, Smith O, Conneally E. Case-Based Haematology. Blackwell 2005.
12. Mitus AJ, et al. Hemostatic complications in young patients with essential thrombocytopenia. Am J Med 1990;88:371.
13. Moake JL, Chow TW. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura : understanding a disease no longer rare. Am J Med Sci 1998; 316: 105.
14. Murphy S, Iland H, Rosenthal D, Laszlo J. Essential thrombocythemia: An interim report from the polycythemia vera study group. Sem Hematol 1986; 23:177-182.
15. Murphy S, Peterson P, Iland H, Laszlo J. Experience of Polycythemia Vera Study Group with essential thrombocythmia: A final report on diagnostic criteria, survival and leukemic transition by treatment. Sem Haematol 1997;34:29-39
16. Pearson TC. Primary thrombocythemia: diagnosis and management. Br J Haematol 1991;78:145-148.
17. Poskitt TR, Poskitt PKR. Thrombocytopenia of sepsis. Arch Int Med 1985; 145:891-894.
18. Randi ML, et al. Which tests are most useful in distinguishing between reactive thrombocytosis and the thrombocytosis of myeloproliferative disease? Clin Lab Haematol 1992;14:267.
19. Ruggenenti P, Remuzzi G. The pathophysiology and management of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura. Eur J Haematol 1996; 56: 191.
20. Schafer AI. Bleeding and thrombosis in the myeloproliferative disorders. Blood 1984; 64:1-12.
21. Schafer AI. Thrombocytosis. N Engl J Med 2004;350:1211-19.
22. Standaert SM, et al. Ehrlichiosis in a golf-oriented retirement community. N Engl J Med 1995; 333(7):420-5.
23. Tefferi A, Hoagland HC. Issues in the diagnosis and management of essential thrombocythemia. Mayo Clin Proc 1994;69:651.
24. Tefferi A, Thiele J, Orazi A et al. Proposals and rationale for revision of the World Health Organisation diagnostic criteria for polycythemia vera, essential thrombocythemia and primary myelofibrosis: recommendations from an ad hoc international expert panel. Blood.2007; 11; 1092 – 1097
End of page.